French Onion Soup with Paris Sourdough float
- 1 Paris Sourdough loaf
- 100 g Gruyere or cheese of choice
- 8 onions red or white is ok
- 4 Tbs Olive Oil
- 2 Tbs Butter
- 1 tsp Sugar
- salt to taste
- 2 Cloves of Garlic
- 8 cups beef, chicken or vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup Dry Vermouth or white wine
- 2 Bay leaves
- 1 tsp thyme leaves
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Peel and slice onions.
- Add oil to pan and sauté onions until they soften – about 20 minutes.
- Increase the heat, add butter and brown the onions – about 20-40 minutes.
- Sprinkle with sugar and finish caramelising onions, then add garlic.
- Deglaze the pot with vermouth, making sure to scrape down all the brown bits.
- Add stock, bay leaves and thyme and simmer for 30 minutes. Season to taste.
- Preheat oven and line tray with baking paper.
- Slice Paris Sour Dough into generous chunks. Toast one side till golden and then flip over, add cheese and toast until golden.
- To serve, ladle soup into bowls and top with Paris sourdough cheese floats.